Saturday, January 3, 2009

Teaching Children to Sew



Sarah received a sewing machine for Christmas and I've spent some time teaching her how to use it. She is very interested in it and has done very well so far. The hardest thing for her is to not press the pedal too hard at first...to start slowly.

I wanted to share a great website I found with some patterns and such for children's sewing. The website is Kids Sewing Projects. Also, this template has been helpful in getting her to practice lines without using any thread or fabric. It's important, though, to change the needle after using it on paper as that really dulls the needle. I encourage you to explore this website and be sure to notice the links on the side to different levels of sewing instruction as well as some patterns for kids to try.

I hope this information may be helpful to some of you out there!

No comments: