Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Introducing Esther Grace!

The day that marked our 40th week of pregnancy came and went (March 26th). The doctor scheduled a non-stress test on Monday, April 2nd, to monitor the baby's heart rate and movements. The nurse at the office joked that she wouldn't see me because I'd be in the hospital, but I didn't really believe her. Sunday, April 1st, was a day of sickness in our family. Four of us had fevers and coughs (mine was over 102 degrees). Most of the other nights lately, Garth and I had asked each other "will it be tonight?". Sunday night, we were pretty much hoping it WOULDN'T be tonight since I was still getting over fevers and chills. I woke up a lot during the night just not feeling well and attributed it to being sick the day before. Around 4:00, I started noticing the "feelings" were getting stronger and were turning into contractions in my back. I began timing them and realized they were every 5 minutes! Thinking it was too good to be true, I just tried to go back to sleep (which didn't happen). I woke Garth up at 4:30 and told him I was just going to time them for another half hour before I got up. He watched me go through a couple contractions and said, "Nope, I'm going to get a shower. You do what you want!" I figured I'd get up, too, and see what happened. As soon as I stood up, the contractions got harder and more intense. I took time for a bath and tried to relax. Then we woke up Sarah (who was coming with us to the hospital) and loaded the car. We arrived at the hospital shortly before 7:00 am. The doctor checked me then and said I was at 4 cm and nearly 100% effaced. He decided to go ahead and break my water since that is what accelerated my labors in the past. As SOON as he broke it, he said, "Wow! You just jumped to a 7 like that!" He told us then, too, that there was meconium in my fluid and what the risks were with that. They gave me an IV with a bunch of fluid since I was so dehydrated from being sick the day before.

Within the next two hours, I dilated to 9 cm and between contractions was busy texting or talking to Sarah, Garth, and my nurse (who was absolutely fabulous, by the way).

Transition began around 9:00 am and the contractions were very intense. Sarah did a great job holding my hand through them and putting cold cloths on my face. She also assisted the nurse with special jobs! The doctor came back in the room about 9:50, put his gloves on, and I gave two pushes. With that, Esther Grace was born at 9:54 am on April 2nd!

She weighed 9 pounds, 3 ounces, and is 20 1/2 inches long.

Garth got to give her the first bath and then we took turns holding her and loving on her.

Her siblings are in love with her and can hardly wait for us to get home so they can help take care of her.

Emilee is a wonderful helper who is staying with us for about a month to help me out. She is staying with the girls while we're at the hospital (Benjamin is at a friend's house). I'm so thankful for Emilee and all she is doing to help out our family. I'm thankful to her parents, too, who are willing to let her come!


The Two of Us said...

YAY! So excited for you that you finally have your beautiful Esther Grace in your arms. Thanks for sharing your story!

Emily's Posts said...

Congrats on the new little one. I love the name Esther!

Lots of Love from the Houstons.


Emily's Posts said...

So happy for you!! She is beautiful! Congratulations. Praying for a speedy recovery!! Love you all!!!

Jen said...


I always love a good birth story, and yours didn't disappoint! :)

Hope you all rest and recover well.
She's a beauty!

Carrie said...

Beautiful picture!

Benjy said...

YAY!! "Esther" is one of the names I was hoping for! I can't wait to see and hold her! I'm gonna try to visit some time soon! :D

Anonymous said...

I love you very much! Emilee